MIBO 111 : INTRODUCTORY MICROBIOLOGY
Introduction.Microbial world: History of Agril. Microbiology, Prokaryotic and eukaryotic microbes. Bacteria: cell structure, chemoautotrophy, photo autotrophy, growth. Bacterial nutrition: classification of nutrients Macroelements, Microelements, growth factors, culture media, nutritional classification of microorganisms Bacterial genetics: Genetic recombination- transformation, conjugation and transduction, plasmids, transposon.
Role of microbes in soil fertility and crop production: Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Sulphur cycles. Biological nitrogen fixation- symbiotic, associative and asymbiotic.Azolla, blue green algae and mycorrhiza.Rhizosphere and phyllosphere. Microbes in human welfare: silage production, biofertilizers, biopesticides, biofuel production and biodegradation of agro-waste.Mushrooms- edible and poisonous types, nutritive values, Culturing and production techniques.
Introduction to microbiology laboratory and its equipments; Microscope- parts, principles of microscopy, resolving power and numerical aperture.Methods of sterilization.Nutritional media and their preparations.Enumeration of microbial population in soil- bacteria, fungi, actinomycetes.Methods of isolation and purification of microbial cultures.Isolation of Rhizobium from legume root nodule.Isolation of Azotobacter from soil.Isolation of Azospirillum from roots.Isolation of BGA.Staining and microscopic examination of microbes.Simple Staining, Negative staining and Gram Staining. Isolation of P and silicon Solubilizing Microbes, Mycorrhiza, Isolation of cellulose and Pectin degrading microbes for agro waste management.
1) Acquaintance with microscope and other lab equipments
2) Methods of sterilization
3) Nutritional media and their preparations.
4) Enumeration of microbial population in soil- bacteria, fungi, actinomycetes.
5) Methods of isolation and purification of microbial cultures.
6) Isolation of Rhizobium from legume root nodule.
7) Isolation of Azotobacter from soil.
8) Isolation of Azospirillum from roots.
9) Isolation of BGA
10) Simple staining of bacteria
11) Gram staining of bacteria
12) Isolation of P and silicon Solubilizing Microbes
13) Isolation of Potash solubilisingMicrobes
14) Isolation of Mycorrhiza
15) Isolation of cellulolytic microbes for agro waste management
16) Isolation of Pectin degrading microbes for agro waste management