GPB 121 : FUNDAMENTALS OF GENETICS
Pre and Post Mendelian concepts of heredity, Mendelian principles of heredity.Architecture of chromosome; chromonemata, chromosome matrix, chromomeres, centromere, secondary constriction and telomere; special types of chromosomes.Chromosomal theory of inheritance- cell cycle and cell division- mitosis and meiosis.Probability and Chi-square.Dominance relationships, Epistatic interactions with example.
Multiple alleles, pleiotropism and pseudoalleles, Sex determination and sex linkage, sex limited and sex influenced traits, Blood group genetics, Linkage and its estimation, crossing over mechanisms, chromosome mapping. Structural and numerical variations in chromosome and their implications, Use of haploids, dihaploids and doubled haploids in Genetics.Mutation, classification, Methods of inducing mutations & CIB technique, mutagenic agents and induction of mutation.Qualitative & Quantitative traits, Polygenes and continuous variations, multiple factor hypothesis, Cytoplasmic inheritance.Genetic disorders.Nature, structure & replication of genetic material. Protein synthesis, Transcription and translational mechanism of genetic material, Gene concept: Gene structure, function and regulation, Lac and Trp operons.
Study of microscope.Study of cell structure.Mitosis and Meiosis cell division. Experiments on monohybrid, dihybrid, trihybrid, test cross and back cross, Experiments on epistatic interactions including test cross and back cross, Practice on mitotic and meiotic cell division, Experiments on probability and Chi-square test. Determination of linkage and cross-over analysis (through two point test cross and three point test cross data).Study on sex linked inheritance in Drosophila. Study of models on DNA and RNA structures.
1) Study of microscopes
2) Study of cell structure
3) Preparation of microscopic Slides of mitosis – onion root tips
4) Preparation of microscopic Slides of meiosis – tradescantia/onion /Wheat inflorescence
5) Methods of finding out the gametes and gameticrecombination
6) Problems on monohybrid ration and its modification
7) Problems on dihybrid ratio and its modification
8) Experiments on test cross and back cross
9) Gene interaction – I Gene interaction without modification of F2ratio (comb-shape ) and complementary gene interaction.
10) Gene interaction – II Gene interaction with modification of F2ratio: supplementary factor, epistatis factor, inhibitory factor
11) Gene interaction – III Gene interaction with modification of F2ratio: Additive factor, duplicate factor and lethal factor
12) Problems on probability and Chi-square test
13) Chi-square test Problems on
14) Determination of linkage and cross over analysis (though two point test cross and three point test cross data)
15) Study on sex linked inheritance in Drosophila
16) Study of models on DNA and RNA structure