ELE FST – 351: FOOD SAFETY AND STANDARDS
Food quality: physical, nutritional, microbial and sensory, quality control; Hazards in supply chain, biological, chemical and physical hazards, natural contaminants, allergens, Food adulteration, toxicities due to hazards, Food infection and intoxication, risk analysis, and detection and epidemiology of food borne pathogens. ISO Food Safety Management Systems.potential risks of food borne bioterrorism, bioterrorism protection measures, Personal hygiene and sanitary food handling.
Quality management and quality assurance: Total quality management, good manufacturing practices, good agricultural practices, good laboratory practices; ISO. HACCP: Principles, implementation; Plan documentation, types of records; Auditing: Surveillance, audit, mock audit, third party quality certifying audit, Certification, certification procedures, certifying bodies, accrediting bodies, international bodies.
Risk assessment and management during food preparation. Microbial standards of fresh and processed foods.
Concept of Quality management systems in India; Sampling procedures and plans; Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, AGMARK, BIS, Global GAP, Global Food safety Initiative; BRC, SQF, SGS, Food Codex; Export import policy, Labeling issues. export documentation; and food safety.
Estimation of CFU of water, Estimation of TDS in water.Estimation of Listeria and E. Coli/ Salmonella /Shigella/ Staphylococcus from food samples.Estimation of fungal toxins from food samples.Heavy metal detection (lead),Estimation of any one commonly used pesticide,HACCP for food industries by taking few models,Study of national and international microbial quality standards,Visit to export oriented food processing industry
1) Estimation of CFU of water, Estimation of TDS in water
2) Estimation of Listeria and E. Coli/ Salmonella /Shigella/ Staphylococcus from food samples
3) Estimation of fungal toxins from food samples
4) Heavy metal detection (lead)
5) Estimation of any one commonly used pesticide
6) HACCP for food industries by taking few models of food industry
7) Study of national and international microbial quality standards
8) Visit to export oriented food processing industry