ELE AGRO – 3510: WEED MANAGEMENT
Introduction to weeds, characteristics of weeds their harmful and beneficial effects on ecosystem. Classification, reproduction and dissemination of weeds. Herbicide classification, concept of adjuvant, surfactant, herbicide formulation and their use. Introduction to mode of action of herbicides and selectivity. Allelopathy and its application for weed management. Bio-herbicides and their application in agriculture. Concept of herbicide mixture and utility in agriculture. Herbicide compatibility with agro-chemicals and their application. Integration of herbicides with non chemical methods of weed management. Herbicide Resistance and its management.
Techniques of weed preservation. Weed identification and their losses study. Biology of important weeds. Study of herbicide formulations and mixture of herbicide. Herbicide and agro-chemicals study. Shift of weed flora study in long term experiments. Study of methods of herbicide application, spraying equipment’s. Calculations of herbicide doses and weed control efficiency and weed index.
1-2) Identification of weeds
3) Techniques of weed preservation
4) Study of losses caused by weeds
5-6) Biology of important weeds
7) Study of herbicide formulation and herbicide mixtures
8) Study of herbicide in relation to Agrochemicals
9) Phyto-toxicity symptoms on crops and its measurement
10) Methods of herbicide application
11-12) Herbicides application equipments and their calibration
13) Calculation of herbicide dose
14) Computation of different weed indices
15) Visit to weed management experiments