BOT-233: PRINCIPLES OF PLANT BREEDING
Definition, history of plant breeding, Aims and objectives of Plant breeding, classification of plants and Botanical description, floral biology Emasculation and pollination techniques in cereals, millets, pulses and oilseeds and fibers and plantation crops etc., Reproduction sexual and asexual, Apomixis and their classification, Significance in plant breeding, Pollination-modes of pollination, genetic consequences, difference between self and cross pollinated crops. Methods of breeding-Introduction and acclimatization, Selection-Mass selection, Johannson’s pureline theory, genetic basis, Pure line selection, Hybridization- aims, objectives and types of hybridization, Methods of handling of segregating generations-Pedigree method, Bulk method, Back cross method and various modified methods, self Incompatibility and male sterility-types and their utilization in crop improvement, Heterosis, In breeding depression, theories of Heterosis, Exploitation of Hybrid Vigour, development of inbred lines, single cross and double cross hybrid, Population improvement programme, recurrent selection, Synthetics and composites, Methods of breeding for vegetatively propagated crops-clonal selection and hybridization, Mutation breeding, ploidy breeding, wide hybridization and significance in crop improvement.
Botanical description and floral biology, selfing, emasculation and crossing techniques in Rice, Maize, Ragi, Sugarcane, Coconut, Groundnut, Castor, Sunflower, Redgram, Bengalgram and Green gram, Cowpea, Chilli, Brinjal, Tomato, Bhendi, Onion, Bottle gourd and Ridge gourd and cotton,. Study of megasporogenesis and Microsporogenesis, fertilization and life cycle of an angiospermic plant, Plant breeder’s kit, Hybridization techniques and precautions to be taken. Study of male sterility and self incompatibility in field crops.
1) Plant Breeder’s kit.
2) Study of mega sporogenesis and microsporogeneis; fertilization and life-cycle of an angiospermic plant.
3) Selfing techniques in different crops.
4) Floral biology and hybridization techniques.
5) Study of male sterility.
6) Study of self incompatibility.
7) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in rice.
8) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in cashew and mango.
9) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in groundnut, castor.
10) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in sunflower.
11) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in sugarcane and coconut.
12) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in yard long bean, Pigeon pea and green gram.
13) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in brinjal, chilli, tomato.
14) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in okra, onion and cowpea.
15) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in cotton and sunhemp.
16) Floral biology and hybridization techniques in bottle gourd and ridge gourd.