BOT-111: ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
Environmental Science: Definition, scope and importance.
Natural Resources: Definition, Classification – renewable and non renewable. Importance and uses and overexploitation of forest, water food and energy resources.
Ecosystem: Definition, Concept, Structure and Function study of producers, Consumers and decomposers of an ecosystem. Food chain and food web and ecological pyramids.
Types of Ecosystem: Introduction, Types, Characteristic features, Structures and function of forest. Grassland, Desert, Wetland, and Aquatic Ecosystem Biodiversity: Definition, Classification, Flora and Fauna, Threats to biodiversity and its conservation.
Environmental Pollution: Causes, effects and control of air, water, soil, thermal, noise and marine pollution. Causes, effects and management of soil, nuclear and industrial wastes.
Disaster Management: Foods, earthquakes, cyclones and land slide.
Green Houses Gases and Green House Effect. Climate Change impact on agriculture and ecosystems. The Environment Protection Act, the Air Protection Act, the Water Protection Act, and the Wild Life Protection Act and Forest Conservation Act. Pollution (soil, water and air) and its effect on agricultural productivity.
1) Collection, processing and storage of effluent.
2) Determination of Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) in effluent sample.
3) Determination of Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) in effluent sample.
4) Estimation of Dissolved Oxygen (DO) in effluent samples.
5) Effect of silt from iron ore mine tailing pond on plant growth.
6) Estimation of respirable and non-respirable dust in the air by using portable dust sampler.
7) Determination of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in effluent sample.
8) Estimation of Species Frequency, Density Abundance of plants.
9) Estimation of Nitrate Contamination in ground water.
10) Analysis of Temporary and Total Hardness of water sample by titration.
11) Estimation of Pesticide Contamination in Agro-ecosystem.
12) Visit to Social Service Organization/Environmental Education Center.
13) Visit to local polluted site, observations and remedial measures.
14) Crop adaption to different soil condition.