BIO 111 : INTRODUCTORY BIOLOGY
1) Introduction to the living world. Composition and biological classification.
2) Diversity and characteristics of life.Definition of diversity; studying relationship between different organisms.
3) Origin of life ; theories of origin of life ,Oparin-Haldane theory of chemical origin of life.
4) Evolution and Eugenics ; evidences of organic evolution, theories of evolution; Definition of Eugenics , genetics and Mendel’s experiment.
5) Binomial nomenclature and classification.
6 & 7) Cell and cell division: Cell Structure, Composition and cell organelles and their functions; Mitosis and meiosis their significance
8,9,10 & 11) Morphology of flowering plants.
(roots, stems, leaves, flowers and fruits)
12) Seed and seed germination: Structure of monocot and dicot seed, Types of germination, factors affecting germination
13,14 &15) Plant systematic – Study of families viz.
A) Brassicaceae, B) Fabaceae, C) Poaceae
16) Role of animals in agriculture.
1) Morphological studies of flowering plant.
2) Study of different root system and their Modifications.
3) Study of different forms of stems and their modifications.
4) Study of Branching pattern of plants.
5) Study of leaves and their modifications.
6) Study of stipules of leaves, leaf blade leaf venation.
7) Study of inflorescence, flowers and aestivation
8) Study of reproduction organs and placentation.
9) Study of fruits and their different parts.
10) Seed germination studies in different crops.
11) Study of Cell, Tissue and cell division through specimens and slides
12) Internal structure of root, stem and leaf of monocot and dicot plants.
13) Description of plant belongs to family Brassicacea. viz. Mustard/ Cabbage/ Cauliflower/ Radish. (Any one)
14) Description of plant belongs to family Fabaceae. viz. Pigeon pea/ Pea/ Cowpea/ Wal. (Any one)
15) Description of plant belongs to family Poaceae. viz. Rice/ wheat/ Jowar/ Maize. (Any one)