ASDS-242: LIVESTOCK BREEDING AND NUTRITION
History and concept of Animal Breeding. Cell and cell division. Gene: Functions and role in Animal Genetics, Gene actions, Gene and Genotypic frequencies Gene expression and mutation. Mendelian principles and Hardy Weinberg law. Chromosomes and its abnormalities. Laws of probabilities and Animal breeding. Variations in economic traits of farm animals. Methods of selection. Quantitative and qualitative traits. Composition of plant and animal body. classification of feeds and fodders. Important food ingredients and their functions in animal body. Digestive system, digestion and absorption of different nutrients in ruminants and non-ruminants. Feed supplements and feed additives, method of measuring food values. Feeding standard and their principles. Concept of preparation of complete feed block.
Cell structure. Estimation of gene and genotypic frequency. Estimation of heritability. Estimation of repeatability. Correlation studies. Estimation of breeding value of cow Estimation of Regression coefficient. Sire indices. Estimation of genetic gain. Estimation of Heterosis. identification of feeds and fodders. Nutritive value of various feeds and fodders. Characteristics of good ration. Study of nutritive values: Nutritive ratio (NR), Starch equivalent (SE), DCP, TDN and GE. Nutrients requirement of different classes of animals. Thumb rule & computation of ration for different livestock. Silage and hay making. Chaffing of fodders. Improving low quality roughage for efficient utilization urea, molasses and salt treatment.
1) a) Cell Structure.
b) Estimation of gene and genotypic frequency.
2) a) Estimation of heritability & repeatability.
b) Estimation of genetic & Phenotypic correlation by analysis of variance & co-variance.
3) Estimation of most probable producing ability & Breeding value of cow.
4) Study of sire index.
5) Estimation of regression coefficient.
6) a) Estimation of Genetic gain.
b) Estimation of Heterosis.
7) Estimation of feeds and fodders.
8) Characteristics of ration.
9) Study of Nutritive value of various feeds and fodders.
10) Nutrient requirements of different classes of animals.
11) Computation of ration for different livestock.
12) Silage making, Hay making, Chaffing of fodders.
13) Improving low quality roughage.