AGRO-235: FIELD CROPS-I (KHARIF CROPS)
Origin, geographic distribution, economic importance, soil and climatic requirement, varieties, cultural practices and yield of kharif crops.
Cereals – Rice, Maize, Kharif Sorghum, Pearl Millet, Minor millets.
Pulses – Pigeonpea, Mungbean, Uridbean, Horsegram, Mothbean, Cowpea.
Oilseeds – Groundnut, Sesame, Soybean, Castor.
Fibre crops – Cotton, Jute, Sunhemp, Sesbania (Dhaincha).
Forage crops – Sorghum, Pearl Millet, Maize, Cowpea, Cluster Bean, Rainfed grasses.
Rice nursery preparation including Dapog method and transplanting/seed bed preparation and sowing of Kharif crops; System of rice intensification (SRI); Calculations of seed rate; Sowing of soybean, pigeon pea, mung bean, maize, groundnut, and cotton; Effect of seed size on germination and seedling vigour of soybean/groundnut; Effect of sowing depth on germination of soybean; identification of weeds in rice, maize and soybean fields and study of weed control experiments in these crops; Top dressing of nitrogen in maize and rice and study of fertilizer experiments on rice, maize, sorghum and millets; Study of yield contributing characters, yield calculations, harvesting and yield estimation of above crops; Study of crop varieties and important agronomic experiments; Study of forage experiments.
1) Preparation of calendar of operations of different kharif crops.
2) Identification of seeds and plants of important kharif crops.
3) Preparation of seedbed and layout of main field for important kharif crops.
4) Study of different seed treatments for kharif crops.
5) Study of important growth stages and recording growth observations of kharif crops.
6) Rice nursery preparation and transplanting using SRI technique.
7) Sowing of important kharif crops and calculations of seed rate.
8) Study of effect of sowing depth on germination of Cowpea.
9) Study of effect of sowing depth on germination of Groundnut.
10) Thinning and gap filling of kharif crops.
11) Methods of fertilizer application for kharif crops.
12) Interculturing and weed management of kharif crops.
13) Protective irrigation at critical growth stages of kharif crops.
14) Study of yield contributing characters and yield calculations and cost of cultivation.
15) Study of calculating fertilizer requirement, herbicidal dose for kharif crops.
16) Signs of maturity, harvesting and threshing methods of different kharif crops.
17) Visit to important agronomic experimental plots and Research station related to kharif crops.