ASDS-364 : SHEEP AND GOAT PRODUCTION
Importance of Sheep and Goat production in national economy. Important Indian and Exotic breeds of Sheep and Goat. Housing requirement of Sheep and Goat. Breeding seasons for Sheep and Goat. Methods of breeding Sheep and Goat. Feeding practices for Sheep and Goat. Flushing of ewes and does. Care and Management of pregnant ewes/does. Care and Management of Lambs/kids and rams/bucks. Composition and utilization of Sheep and Goat milk. Grading and marketing of wool. Marketing of Sheep and Goat. Culling of Sheep and Goat. Preparation of animal for slaughter and different methods of slaughter. Dressing percentage and Meat bone ratio. Different Meat cuts and edible and non-edible offal’s. Study of common ailments and control of parasites in Sheep and Goat. Preventive measures (vaccination) against different diseases of Sheep and Goat. Systems of rearing of sheep and goat. Insurance of sheep and goats.
Study of body parts of Sheep and Goat. Differences between Sheep and Goat. Selection of animals, identification marks. Feeding of lambs/kids. Feeding practices for milking goat. Shearing and grading of wool. Important management practices such as clipping, spraying, dusting, docking, de-worming, and ringing. Preparation of animals for Animal show. Culling of animals. Judging of Sheep and goat. Preparation of animal for slaughter and different methods of slaughter. Dressing percentage and meat bone ratio. Different meat cuts. Study of composition of Sheep and Goat milk and its product preparation. Study of farm records. Preparation of bankable proposal for sheep and goat farm.
1) Body parts of sheep and goat and common terminologies used.
2) Differences between sheep and goat.
3) Selection of sheep and goat for different purpose and identification marks.
4)Systems of rearing of sheep and goat.
5) Feeding practices of lambs and kids.
6) Feeding practices of milking doe.
7) Shearing of sheep and grading of wool.
8) Management practices like clipping, spraying, dusting,docking,
De-worming and ringing.
9) Culling of animals.
10) Judging of sheep and goat.
11) Preparation of animal for slaughter and different methods of slaughter.
12) Study of different meat cuts, dressing percentage, meat bone ratio and edible and non-edible offal’s.
13) Preparation of milk products from sheep and goat milk (Dahi,Khoa, Paneer).
14) Study of various farm records maintained at sheep & goat farm. Preparation of viable bank proposals.